Thursday 2 November 2017

New Goodbyes, Same Pain


The day was free and as blank as a canvas on the first day. I woke up around 9 am and took a long shower. I hadn't had a free day in the last two weeks since I left Canada for this trip.

Being busy is good. Especially when you’re traveling solo. Having nothing to do makes me realize the loneliness that fills my heart very easily. That I’m alone on this journey. That I’m a long long way from home. And that can make me a bit sad. But the day was about to change and things were going to take an upward turn. I spent the morning having the big breakfast at the hotel restaurant. I came back to my room and turned on the television as well as my laptop. For the next 3 hours I browsed through my photos of this trip so far and some assignment work. Time moves slowly when you don't have anything to do. I checked my social media notifications, posted some photos on Instagram and went through my Twitter timeline. The time still passed like Pluto orbiting the sun, very slowly.

Then a notification popped on my phone. Swipe and find your match. Tinder called me. As I had almost nothing else to do, I opened tinder and started sorting the profiles. Immediately ‘you’ve got a match!’ message popped up. I opened her page and saw the photos. All of her photos were in veil. And she had a minimalist bio. Nevertheless I messaged her. She replied within seconds. I’m very impressed by people who respond immediately and not take 200 years to say hello back. Things had started off well. Sue, her tinder name and Salma, her real name. After the customary greetings, I told her its my last day in Egypt and if she’s interested in meeting me. Her response was positive. And I couldn’t be happier. Finally I was going meet a person other than my drivers and guides in Egypt. After a lot of discussion, we finally decided that she will visit me near my hotel. I packed my stuff and kept my baggage ready to go for the flight in the next few hours. And then I waited.


Come out I’m here, she messaged. I got out of the hotel and started walking to the place where she was waiting. I couldn't find the place and it took me about 30 minutes to reach there. I asked three different people for their phones to call her and keep in touch as I didn’t have a local phone. One of them even got a taxi (or bus, I'm not sure what to call that vehicle) for me and paid for it. Egyptian people are really nice. Finally I reached ‘Gaad restaurant’, the place we decided to meet.

I had seen her photos in veil. But her message earlier said she is wearing red trousers and black top and that she has blue hair. I stood at the entrance of the restaurant. After a minute or so, I saw a western looking girl walking towards me. I had a feeling that its her but I didn't say or sign anything. Thanks to my introvert personality. ‘Jatin’? she asked. ‘Yes’, I said. And we finally met.

This girl looked completely different than her pictures. More beautiful and bold. She didn't look Arabic, but a west coast girl with her black top and blue hair. Like a rebel.

‘My friends are waiting in car and we will go to eat and get some drinks and then we will drop you off at your hotel’, she said to me as we walked to the car. ‘Okay?’, she asked. I said yeah sure.

I got in to the car and her two friends greeted me. We went off to find a place to eat and chill. She and I started talking in the back seat as her friend drove the car and his fiance sat shotgun. I had just gotten in to a car with strangers going to a place I didn't know and in a city I don’t know much about. I was a bit scared but something told me its alright. They were nice people. We went to the couple’s place where they had some business to take care of. Me and Salma went to the coffee place next to their place and waited for them.

So tell me about your life, about yourself. She had so many questions. And being an introvert, I didn't know how to explain her my personality. Nevertheless she made me comfortable and the conversation started flowing like the Nile, smooth and upwards! We spoke about our lives, relationships, studies and much more as she puffed off her cigarettes. ‘I’m in my last semester of dentistry’, she said. To which I responded with appreciation in my reply. She didn't want to be a doctor but her mom wanted her to be. So she did it for her. Indian and Egyptian parenting isn’t too different, I must say.

Her friends came back. The conversations continued as we smoked sheesha. Three hours went by. And the time was now passing faster, like Buggati Veyron completing a lap.

After some time, at around 11.30 pm we left from the place to go back. We visited the couple’s home. He is an architect and she’s a scientist working around drugs, legal ones!

We took photos as I said goodbye to these wonderful people. They truly made my day. It couldn’t have been better. I hugged her for the first and last time. I didn't hug her when we saw each other for the first time because I wasn’t sure if that was socially acceptable. But it was midnight and there was no one on the street. I shook hands with her friends and wished them well. They told me that they were so glad to meet me. And the feeling was mutual. As I hugged Salma, I felt something. A feeling that this is the last time I’m seeing her for a long time. Lord knows the next time we see each other. But I hope we do, soon.

There was something between us. We struck the chord. I’m not saying it’s something special. But it’s something. It’s not a blank slate. As I left for the airport to take my flight out of Egypt and saying my final goodbye to this amazing country, I couldn’t help but think about these people I had just met, especially her. As I proceeded to my boarding gate, my heart sunk at every step I walked that took me away from Cairo. Misr kept a piece of my heart and I happily left that piece there, for I know that whenever I visit Egypt again, I will have friends there. And I wont be alone. New people, new goodbyes, but the pain of these new goodbyes doesn't feel different. It feels the same, agonizing and gnawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment